Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

It's a Guy Thing… and trying to figure out what a "guy read" is!

I read a lot of different genres of books: fiction, historical fiction, horror, sci-fi, romance. BUT, what do I recommend to a guy who doesn't read any of that kind of stuff?! I admit, for the most part I recommend books to people who are craving their next great read, but what about those hard to fit people? And guys… what's a "guy read"?

Definitely not Fifty Shades of Grey, although one of my male reading group members picked it for his choice.  Sports books are usually a good bet, right? Baseball, football... hey, what about that great book by Laura Hillenbrand, Seabiscuit!? How about a little David Sedaris? That's guy humor, right? Hmmm… humor. That's something I don't read a lot of. And humor is personal. We all don't laugh at the same jokes. But I did find a book I think might work for that kind of guy who doesn't read all that mushy girl stuff ( ok, you do know I'm being a bit facetious here, right?) The kind of guy that looks good in flannel and can swing an axe… Alright, I liked this book too… It was funny, well written and about guy stuff... You're Not Lost if You Can Still See the Truck by Bill Heavey. Bill Heavey is an editor at Field & Stream Magazine and put together this "guy" book, which are essays about his adventures outdoors that he writes about in Field & Stream. I have been reading through this book leisurely to enjoy each "story" for itself. And it's so much more than putting your worm on the hook, that I think girls who like the outdoors with enjoy this.

So, that's definitely a "guy read", but also a girl read... Do you know what a "guy read" is, and what do you recommend to the guy who wouldn't be caught dead with anything but a monster truck on the front cover?! Hmmm, history, graphic novels... It's a mystery to me. (Another possible choice!)

Happy reading... Whatever it is!

4 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I wondered a lot about "guy reads" when I was choosing books for my younger brothers, who were reluctant readers. In the MG/YA genre, Jerry Spinelli and Rick Riordan were the best bets.

To be more general about it, I'd say that a book is a "guy read" in direct proportion to the resemblance between its main character and James Bond. (Or if the main character is a Ted Moseby type, then the resemblance between his best friend and Bond. LOL!) But I'm admittedly going by stereotypes here.

My grandfather was a big reader before his eyesight started failing him, and he really liked non-fiction about world history and politics, as well as bios of famous people from fields as diverse as IT and entertainment.

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Enbrethiliel for stopping by and joining the conversation!

Jerry Spinelli is a new one for me, but I'm making a note here about that for those "young" men on my list. I LOVE the James Bond take or the "All man" stereotype. We might even go as far as how close our guy feels like James Bond or such.

But on a serious note, I like your grandfather's selections. Non-fiction seems the route to go and is so diverse. And world history is something I did not think of. It's a shame that his eyesight started to fail.

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed your input!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

My sons always stop for science fiction. My dad is a sucker for nonfiction.

It is tricky. We have to urge our boys at school to chose a fiction book now and then; they always go for the nonfiction.

http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2015/01/trees-and-thieves-and-twinkie-pie.html

thecuecard said...

Guys like mine usually like nonfiction more, books on science and history. And now I'm reading American Sniper and perhaps this is a typical guy read too.

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant