Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Japanese Lover by Isabel Allende… A Review

Imagine a love so great that it surpasses all obstacles and consumes your heart. Alma Belasco found such a love, a forbidden love. My heart ached for her, I was angry at her, I cryed for her.The ending brought tears to my eyes and the journey there was so deceptively wonderful.

I thought I was going to be wrapped up in a simple love story, but instead I was wrapped up in a family saga that spanned generations, through the Holocaust and WWII, internment camps and the plagues of modern day.  How author Isabel Allende managed to have me know these characters so deeply and intimately in the span of 322 pages is amazing. Her storytelling was captivating. The story went back and forth, from present day to years past seamlessly and with me needing to continue reading to find out the next bit of story. After finishing the book, which only took 3 days, I almost felt like I had lived through it myself.

This is a wonderful story, a love story, but so much more than that. A story of friendship, survival, family, commitments, our failing bodies and how we should not waste the one life we have.

I would recommend this book. I think my rating would be 4 stars ultimately, because I really did enjoy it and as it lingers with me, I find more to appreciate.

3 comments:

Laura at Library of Clean Reads said...

Allende is such a great storyteller. What a great review! I hope I get to this book soon. I also love the cover, it really attracts me to pick up the book.

Suzanne Yester said...

Oh, Laurie, I love the cover too! This is my first book from Allende, although I have a few on my TBR list with her name attached. You should really enjoy this book! She does such a great job making this such a wonderful layered story. Have a tissue ready at the end though.

Harvee said...

I want to read this one for sure!

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant