Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Sunny Side Up or Shaken Not Stirred, How do you like YOUR humor?

If you read a book that is suppose to make you laugh, and you don't, are you humorless? I'm not a big "humor" reader and I never thought about it until I checked out a book from the library that made the person on the jacket blurb, "laugh out loud on every page.", but I didn't. I kept reading and kept wondering, "Why is this funny?"

But then, I recall books that I did find humorous... Bridgett Jones Diary by Helen Fielding, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt, The Help by Kathryn Stocket (remember the pie!? OMG!). Humor is subjective. Three Stooges or Laurel and Hardy? Chris Rock or Bob Newhart? Erma Bombeck or ... Who? Do you want to "laugh out loud" or smile "ear to ear"? What kind of humor are you?

There's Dry humor, satire, slapstick, farcical, juvenile, parody, self- deprecating, and even aggressive. Aggressive humor? Somehow that just doesn't sound funny. In a google search, the dating site eHarmony states that everyone is looking for someone with a great sense of humor... is that really a yes or no question?!

Books, like humor, are subjective, so I guess even though I didn't laugh out loud on every page of that book, I have laughed out loud at some point and therefore have a sense of humor. Writer's beware, I'm a tough cookie to crack, but there's always chocolate...

Happy reading... whether it makes you laugh or not!

P.S. What books made you laugh?

No comments:

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant