Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Thursday, January 5, 2017

I Remember You: A Ghost Story by Yrsa Sigurdardottir... A Review

This book was such a thrill! Atmospheric, suspenseful, frightening. I was glad I wasn't reading this alone at night because I would have had to have all the lights on and I still would have been aware of every single noise in the house and want to hide under the covers. This book was chilling.

A suicide of an elderly woman, vandalism of a grammar school, the disappearance of two little boys decades apart, and the renovation of a house in a deserted islolated village, all happening within the backdrop of a cold winter in Iceland. All slowly building up tension and purpose, until the storylines collide towards the end. Yrsa Siguroardottir is the queen of crime fiction in her native country of Iceland, and after reading this novel, I can understand why! Right from the start you feel the cold and isolation of Iceland in the winter. The mood gets under your skin as you are reading. The characters are so real and believable. The crime and the investigation seem pretty cut and dry... at first... and then little things start to seem not what they seem to be and the investigation takes a whole new direction that is like a wild rollercoaster ride. There are revelations and plot twists... and secrets. Add things that go bump in the night, or whisper in your ear as you lie alone in the dark, and you have a fantastic ghost story as well.

If you love a good crime novel, Yrsa Siguroardottir will not disappoint you. The investigation of the crimes in I Remember You will keep your attention ( and on the edge of your seat) late into the night. If you love a good scary ghost story, this is defintely the book for you! Your heart will be beating a bit faster as strange things start to happen. The combination makes for an amazing read! I would definitely recommend I Remember You: A Ghost Story by Yrsa Siguroardottir, but read it with all the lights on!

I don't know why I was drawn to this book as my First Book of the Year. Possibly because Connecticut has been cold and desolate like the setting for the book, for the past couple of weeks as winter is settling in. What I do know is that I was hooked from the very first line and could not put this down. 5 stars out of 5 for this one! Published by Minotaur Books in 2014 and available for your KINDLE, or Paperback  now!

No comments:

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant