Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Thursday, January 1, 2015

First Book of the Year… 2015!

Happy New Year! The new year promises many things to many people, and to readers it means a brand new year filled with new places to explore, new people to meet and adventures to have all experienced through the imagination of someone we may never meet, but come to love or hate named... the author.

Last New Years Day, I joined Sheila from Book Journey's First Book Of The Year 2015 challenge. And this year I decided it was a great idea and signed up again to participate! Not so much a "challenge" as a reading tradition of choosing a book to start the year. This year the book I'm choosing is Wonder by R.J. Palacio! I have read rave reviews of this book for some time and most recently someone told me that it was the best book they read in 2014. Wonder is about a little boy named August Pullman who was born with his faced deformed. In and out of surgeries for years, he was home schooled, but when he's about to enter the 5th grade it's decided he can go to "normal" school. This book is about acceptance and courage and change… what better way to start the new year for "real"! Want to see who else is reading a First Book of The Year 2015? Sheila put together a photo montage of the participants! You can find 62 girls with their books by CLICKING HERE.

What is the first book you're going to read this year? 

Stay tuned to see my review of Wonder coming up next week...

13 comments:

Brona said...

Wonder is truly wonderful - an inspired first book of the year choice! You'll laugh, you'll cry & you've set the benchmark high for the rest of the year :-)

Happy New Year!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I love Wonder. I talked my book club into reading it and they loved it, too.

Hope you feel likewise!

Happy New Year!

Elizabeth said...

This is such a great post isn't it? I am finding so many great new books.

ENJOY your first read of 2015!!

Nice blog!!

Happy New Year!!

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My First Book Of The Year

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Sounds like a good first book, Suzanne. Happy New Year!

Kathryn T said...

Beautiful book to begin a new year. I read that aloud to my class a couple of years back. We all Loved it.
Happy New Year.

Nise' said...

What a great book to being the New Year. I want to read it too.

Captivated Reader said...

I want to read wonder at some point too!! Happy New Year and enjoy reading your 1st book of 2015!!

Katherine P said...

I've heard so many great things about this book. Hope you love it! Happy New Year!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Brona Joy, Deb and Kathryn! With all of your praises for Wonder, I know I made the right choice now! I started reading it and I am in love already! Just makes me wonder why I waited so long to read it!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and stopping by!

Happy New Year!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Elizabeth!
I love this meme! It motivates me for a fresh year of reading and I love seeing what everyone else is reading too!

Enjoy your first read! And thanks for stopping by!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Mary!
Your "first read" sounds great too! I love Sarah Addison Allen and I wrote down First Frost so I'd remember it!

Happy New Year! Thanks for coming by!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Nise!
Yes, I started reading it and immediately knew why everyone has said they enjoyed it! The writing is wonderful and Auggie is someone you just wish you could wrap your arms around and hug!

Happy New Year and thanks for stopping by!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Captivated Reader and Katherine! OK, I have to say this is a wonderful book! You two will enjoy it! I wish I didn't wait so long and I'm half way through and just don't want it to end.

Have a wonderful New Year! And thanks for coming by!

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant