Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Monday, January 19, 2015

Memoir Monday... Yes, Please by Amy Poehler

This book got so much press when it came out, I thought they must be giving away free lunch at Chick-fil-a. It was the "it" book, and you HAD to read it. Of course, I had no idea who Amy Poehler was. I recognized her from the cover, but had to refresh my memory about everything Amy Poehler with Google. Ok, so actress, comedian, SNL veteran... why do I want to read it again? What kind of memoir can she write at 40 something? A celebrity tell-all?

Not wanting to loiter in the bookstore long enough to read Yes Please by Amy Poehler, I did the next best thing... I reserved it at the library. And waited my turn to be amazed and fascinated...

And I was! Yes, I am enjoying Yes Please more than I could ever imagine. It's funny, poignant at times, and real. It's so readable. Not just about her Hollywood life, but about being a mother, about being a woman of a certain age and being a normal girl growing up in an normal world. There are 3 parts to Yes Please, Say Whatever You Want, Do Whatever You Like, and Be Whoever You Are, and I'm not quite done yet, but have to say "Amy, you did a great job with writing this book!" What could have been a boring, celebrity, I was the homecoming queen and that's why I am who I am today kind of book, Yes Please is instead a fun, flirty, delicious take on growing up funny and daring to be more.

Guess I'll be adding this to the book shelf permanently...


6 comments:

carol said...

I don't read many memoirs but this one has caught my eye. I'll have to see if the library has it.

Suzanne Yester said...

Definitely a good read. I haven't quite finished it yet, but it has surprised me on how much I am liking it.

Thanks for stopping by!

Michelle said...

I feel like I need to cave and listen to this one. I've been on a celeb autobiography binge recently though so perhaps I need to wait.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I don't watch much television, but you can't not know who Amy is! This has been on my list. I'm glad it's so good.

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Michelle,
I'd go for it! I know about bingeing(?)- it seemed for a while every memoir I was reading was from a celeb and I had to take a break from Memoir Mondays! This was refreshing from what I was reading.

Thanks for saying hello!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Holly!
Yes, I don't watch too much TV either, but I did at least recognize her ! lol! I saw the video of her from the golden globes. And then it was the aha moment. Great book! Like her sense of humor and it really shines in the book.

Thanks for coming by!

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant