Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Find Her by Lisa Gardner... A Review

When the book you're reading starts out ... When you first wake up in a dark wooden box, you’ll tell yourself this isn't happening.” you KNOW you're in for a incredible ride, especially when it's Lisa Gardner driving! 

The gist of the story is that Flora Danes is abducted while partying at a local bar. She wakes up in something like a garage, naked, with her hands bound tightly. She immediately springs into action, evaluating her situation and trying to find something that will help her get away. Let's just say we find out shortly that this wasn't the first time Flora had been abducted. Flora had been kidnapped 5 years earlier during spring break in Florida. Waking up then and finding herself in a pine box was just the start of her 472 days of unspeakable horrors, but she did survive... only to be abducted 5 years later? But something happened to Flora... she's not the carefree farm girl from Maine any longer... something darker is behind those eyes. The story alternates between Flora the Spring break kidnap victim and the ordeal as told through her voice, and the present day Flora, who has dedicated her life to learning to survive, so that she will never be a victim again... or so we think that's the reason. And how does she keep getting herself into these "situations"? Coincidence? Bad luck? Survivor turned vigilante... maybe? Add to the mix an FBI victims advocate, a great female detective, and race to the finish line and you have one heart pounding read. 

Find Her by Lisa Garnder is a gripping, edge-of-your seat psychological suspense/thriller that will have you turning those pages as fast as you can, long into the night. The story is filled with twists & turns that seamlessly fit together. The characters are so human, so real. Hearing Flora tell us about being kidnapped and living in that pine box is haunting. I love the way the story alternates, it gives us insight into what makes Flora tick, and it also gives us hints as what's to follow. 

I loved this book! It left me guessing until the very end! It was a thrilling ride and worth every moment I was reading! I don't rate too many 5 stars, but this book is definitely a 5 star read!

If you love psychological thrillers you need to read this! If you like police procedurals, this is a great one! Available Feb. 9, 2016!

*I received a copy of the eGalley from the publishers, for my honest review. Thank you!

5 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Wow! Five stars!

http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/02/a-tech-of-week-technology-conference-in.html

Joy Weese Moll said...

That does sound exciting! Psychological thriller isn't usually a genre that I gravitate, too, but I might be missing something....

Suzanne Yester said...

Yes, Deb, five stars! Maybe it's because my preferences lean towards the literary side these days, and Find Her was just so absorbing. I just could not put it down, which makes me think... I should read more of this genre!

Thanks for stopping by!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Joy!
You know when I was younger, I loved murder mysteries and that type of genre, then I started reading more literary fiction and when I organized my reading group I pretty much set aside all that psychological thriller/suspense type of reading. Every once in a while I get one of these to read that just blows me away, and I think I should add more of this type of genre to my regular reading. And I think I will now!

Thanks for stopping by!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Sounds like a good one. I also like the photo of your face with the Lisa See book. Very clever. My Sunday Salon

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant