Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Monday, January 18, 2016

Memoir Monday... Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson


In FURIOUSLY HAPPY by Jenny Lawson... Jenny explores her lifelong battle with mental illness. A hysterical, ridiculous book about crippling depression and anxiety? That sounds like a terrible idea. And terrible ideas are what Jenny does best. According to Jenny: "Some people might think that being 'furiously happy' is just an excuse to be stupid and irresponsible and invite a herd of kangaroos over to your house without telling your husband first because you suspect he would say no since he's never particularly liked kangaroos. And that would be ridiculous because no one would invite a herd of kangaroos into their house. Two is the limit. I speak from personal experience. My husband says that none is the new limit. I say he should have been clearer about that before I rented all those kangaroos." FURIOUSLY HAPPY is a book about mental illness, but under the surface it's about embracing joy in fantastic and outrageous ways-and who doesn't need a bit more of that?

I tried to resist this book. The cover image just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. And again, I thought, "Here's another celebrity tell all book", because she already published one book that was suppose to be a memoir, how much more can there be? But then I actually took a peek at it, and read some of it and now I HAVE to read it! The writing was so good! And she has this wry sense of humor that I like. And I guess it all comes back to "don't judge a book by its' cover". But now I can appreciate the cover. And Jenny Lawson is a celebrity because she has opened up about something very personal and how she deals with it, and in doing so she has helped so many people realize they are not alone... And that I can definitely appreciate. On my TBR list now!

No comments:

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant