Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Friday, January 22, 2016

First Lines Friday... Keep on Reading?



"When I turned thirty-three, I decided it was time for a big change in my life. It was time to become a witch.
    I have to admit that I was not sure if this would be a good idea.
    My name is Ai Lian, “love lotus” in Chinese, or Eileen Chen in English. Although I was Western-educated and lived in the modern era, I believed somewhere inside me there lived a witch, at least in spirit. I grew up in a family who believed in anything metaphysical, however implausible."
                                                                     ... The Witch's Market by Mingmei Yip



 I enjoy Mingmei's writing, and I like the opening of The Witch's Market. What do you think? Would you keep reading after just these opening words?

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Love the writing.

I don't read this genre, but it would pull me in.

THANKS.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Blog

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Ming Mei's writing is subtle, funny, and always hooks me. You should try one of her books if you enjoy fiction, because you are sure to enjoy it. It may be that she adds chinese folklore and some mysticism in the mix which adds to the uniqueness of her stories.

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant