Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Sunday, January 1, 2017

First Book of The Year... 2017!

For the past few years I've carefully chosen a book to start the new year with. Sheila over at Book Journey has hosted the First Book of The Year event for the past three years and is doing it again this year! Yay! It's a fun get together with other readers to share what book you're starting your reading year with! Some people submit a photo to show what they're reading, but this year I was a little late in deciding, so no photo this year, but I'm still reading and still sharing my First Book of The Year 2017 here...

I Remember You: A Ghost Story by Yrsa Sigurdardottir ... I Remember You won the Icelandic Crime Fiction Award and also was nominated for The Glass Key Award.

In this terrifying tale, three friends set to work renovating a rundown house in a remote, totally isolated location. But they soon realize they are not as alone as they thought. Something wants them to leave. Meanwhile, in a nearby town, a young doctor investigating the suicide of an elderly woman discovers that she was obsessed with his vanished son. When the two stories collide, the shocking truth becomes horribly clear.

In the vein of Stephen King and John Ajvide Lindqvist partly based on a true story, is the scariest novel yet from Yrsa Sigurdardóttir, who has captivated the attention of readers around the world with her mystery series featuring attorney Thora Gudmundsdottir. Now, Yrsa will stun readers once again with this out-of-this-world ghost story that will leave you shivering.

This book just struck a chord with me... Winter, isolation, a ghost story... I guess that's how Connecticut feels to me these days with winter settling in. I downloaded the Nook Book and started reading it and am glad the lights were on in the room... because it is scary! It's the setting that gives you the creeps. Yrsa Sigurdardottir creates a very eery atmosphere and totally believable. I am enjoying it!

What is the first book you're reading in 2017?


4 comments:

Literary Feline said...

This one sounds really good, Suzanne! I hope you enjoy it. Happy New Year!

Martha Eskuchen said...

Suzanne - I wouldn't have expected a scary story for 1st book so this is an intriguing selection. It does sound like a good thriller. Enjoy and Happy New Year!

Suzanne Yester said...

Thanks, Literary Feline! It is really good, and hopefully I finish it so I can turn the lights off once again! Thanks for stopping by!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Martha! Yes, it's not my "normal" pick for First Book of The Year. I think I was influenced by the cold and cloudy days that have filled my waking hours for the past few weeks. Winter has come to Connecticut with a vengence and I'm not happy about it. I should have chosen a more "sunny" book and maybe I could have ignored the winter for a little while. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by!

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant