Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Friday, December 27, 2019

First Lines Friday...



July 14 
I don't know why I'm writing this. 
That's not true. Maybe I do know and just don't want to admit it to myself. 
I don't even know what to call it--this thing I'm writing. It feels a little pretentious to call it a diary. It's not like I have anything to say. Anne Frank kept a diary--not someone like me. Calling it a "journal" sounds too academic, somehow. As if I should write in it every day, and I don't want to--if it becomes a chore, I'll never keep it up.
                                                                                 .....The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

What is the "Patient" thinking of writing a journal about? Is it "The Patient"? What the heck is going on here? Do these first lines make you want to read more?

A lot of  buzz about this book. Published this past February by Celadon Books, I've seen in on quite a few "Best Books" of 2019 lists. Described as a psychological thriller, this is one book I am looking forward to reading.

No comments:

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant