Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Sunday, December 27, 2015

The Sunday Salon and My 2016 Wrap-up



Welcome to The Sunday Salon! It's the last Sunday Salon for the year 2015 and time for us to look back on our year in books. So find yourself a comfy chair, pour a cup of joe and relax. Let's talk books!

My year started off with my first book choice of 2015, which was Wonder by R.J. Palacio, a story about Auggie Pullman who was different, but only because he looked different, and how he coped with being in the fifth grade. What a wonderful book! I checked it out of the library and so glad I did! Follow the link above if you haven't read it yet, to read my full review. It was touching, funny, and tender at times.

2015 was the year I didn't join a zillion reading challenges. I love reading challenges! But it can be crazy trying to read books that fulfill your challenges if you have too many. So, I limited myself to 3 challenges- Snagged at the Library reading challenge, which had me checking out books at the library instead of buying them at the bookstore, The Graphic Novel reading challenge, which I love because it encourages me to make sure I remember to fill my reading time with Graphic Novels too, and the Goodreads Reading challenge, which I set a goal of reading 50 books this year. So, how did I do on my reading challenges? Well, I did check out quite a few books from the library, but read only 4. My graphic novels totaled 5 this year, and my total books were 27 out of the 50. I would have read more books, but after reading The Fault in Our Stars, I was unable to read anything else for quite some time. It just affected me in such a way, that it took a long time to pick up another book. (Yes, I thought it was that good!) I also went back to full time work, after going through almost 2 years of physical therapy for that horrible auto accident I was in, so that put a dent in my reading time too.

I read in total, 27 books, totaling 8009 pages! My longest book was The Bone Tree by Greg Iles, which was 809 pages (but went quickly because, yes, it was that good!).

My Favorite Book of 2015 was The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins! Followed by Circling the Sun by Paula McClain AND Hemingway in Love by A.E. Hotchner.  Best romance was The Liar by Nora Roberts Best Graphic Novel was Pablo by ClĂ©ment Oubrerie. Those books were published in 2015, but I did enjoy some books that were in my TBR pile (hmmm, I should have joined that challenge to get through more of my TBR's)… I Loved The Martian by Andy Weir, I loved The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, and  I loved The Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline (which was a book club selection this year too!)


So, what are we planning on reading this year?! I've joined the First Book of 2016 event held by Sheila of Book Journey for starters. Stop by on January 1st to see what book I've chosen to begin my reading year with! And if you're interested in joining in on the fun, follow the link for Book Journey and sign up to participate! It's always fun to see what everyone is going to read. Besides that, I plan on joining the Goodreads reading challenge again with goal of 50 books again. AND, I will join the Graphics Novel reading challenge hosted by Nicola of It's All Comic to Me again too, because it's just so much fun. I plan on using the library more this year (I've got some books checked out right now) and I'm going to take a look at and decide on any other reading challenges I may want to join this week. I am going to host a reading challenge for my reading group this year! Maybe you'll want to participate too? I'm going to have a Book Bingo challenge that should be a lot of fun! Ever play Book Bingo? I'll post all about it this week along with the Bingo card you can use!

How was your reading year?! What was your favorite book? And do you have any plans for 2016 yet? Share it all here, I'd love to hear about it all!

Happy reading… Suzanne

No comments:

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant