Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Monday, November 2, 2009

Memoir Mondays... Confections of a Closet Master Baker by Gesine Bullock-Prado

"A former Hollywood insider trades the Hollywood Hills for Green Acres—and lives to tell about it in this hilarious, poignant treat of a memoir"

Gesine Bullock-Prado gave up the designer clothes, the Red Carpet walks and life as a Hollywood schmoozer (almost all of which she hated) for her true calling- Baking! Gesine comes out of the closet in her book Confections of a Closet Master Baker to share with us her journey from unhappy Hollywood insider to life as a baker in Vermont and it is simply delicious!

The writing, the recipes, and Gesine Bullock-Prado's wry sense of humor is all delectable! Chapters are arranged by hours, as we weave our way through a typical day as a baker with Gesine, starting at 3:30am, the witching hour. Sprinkled between the stories of Gesine's adventures in baking and the interesting cast of characters that make up her world, are the the wonderful recipes for treats such as Apfelkuchen and Raspberry Meringues, Devil Cream Pie and her signature Starry Starry Night cookies! Along with tidbits for baking perfection! We spend tender moments with her mother, share glimpses into her complicated relationship with her father and we learn about Gesine growing up. And of course there is the occasional knife sharp word here and there about the Hollywood left behind. This is a memoir, a recipe journal and the story of one woman's journey to finding passion and peace in her life. The writing is engaging and light. We find out there's a purpose behind the baking, and it's not just to eat!

Roll up your sleeves and crack the spine to enter the world of flour, puff pastry, and Hollywood! Gesine shares the perfect recipe on how to follow your passions and her secret Golden Eggs recipe!

I want to thank Catherine P. of Broadway Publishing, a division of Random House, for sending me a review copy! This book was a delight to read! And my baking will never be the same!

10 comments:

mariag said...

I have had my eye on this one and it sounds great. I love books that incorporate recipes.
Thanks for the review.

Liz said...

This looks like a riot!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Mariag!
Gesine's book is such an enjoyable read and the recipe's are part of the story. Very unique and I would recommend it!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Liz!
It is a fun book! And the author holds no punches!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I noticed your Book Club pick--Hurry Down Sunshine. Hope you are liking it. For some reason this author turned me off when I began reading this story last year. I could not finish the book--don't remember exactly why right now?? Hope you enjou it though

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Diane!
Hurry Down Sunshine was actually our town's One Book One Community pick this year and so my reading group chose to read it too. Talk about dysfunctional families! It was an interesting look at how to deal with mental illness, from drug therapy to counseling. And how seemingly normal people can be ill. Will be writing the review in the next couple of weeks....

Chrisbookarama said...

I enjoyed this one too. I'm reviewing it tomorrow. It made me hungry.

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Chris!
I will stop by and check out your review! Those recipes were amazing! When I opened the book I didn't realize it had all the recipes wrapped around the story! Nice surprise!

Esme said...

I really enjoyed this book

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Esme!
Oh your review for this book was wonderful! What a perfect book for your blog! And I just saw the results of the Egg Cakes! Hmmmm! And the photos were great too! Thanks for stopping by!!

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant