Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Friday, June 19, 2009

The Chosen One ...by Carol Lynch Williams

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

What could have been a simple coming of age story of Kyra Leigh Carlson becomes something much different in the hands of author Carol Lynch Williams. A casual look at a boy, reading Bridge to Terabithia or Anne of Green Gables, going into town.... all these are sinful in Kyra's world, where she has 3 mothers and 20 brothers & sisters... 13 year old Kyra is trapped in a polygamist cult... She lives in a closely guarded , extremely religious compound in the desert. And this is her story in The Chosen One...

Kyra loves her family and she's known no other life, but she's growing up and her inner feelings start to question "the rules". When her wandering takes her out of the compound and to the weekly bookmobile that stops to let her explore the 'other' world, her awareness of the outside grows and her so does her natural curiosity. She begins a secret courtship with Joshua another young cult member. Their budding romance is sweet and innocence, but forbidden...

The author portrays Kyra and her secret desires & fears in such a sensitive way that we are drawn to her plight. Especially when the leader of the sect, Prophet Childs, visits Kyra's family to tell them the wonderful news that Kyra has been chosen to become the seventh wife of her father's brother who is 60 yrs. old! Kyra is horrified, her dreams of marrying Joshua are flashing before her eyes, she is torn between all that she loves, her family and home, and marrying a man who's older than her father, who's her father's BROTHER.

The opening line of the novel, "If I was going to kill the Prophet," I say, not even keeping my voice low," ... shows us how Kyra is desperate to save herself. And we become desperate too. Kyra struggles with the thoughts of leaving in order to save herself against giving up the love and comfort of the family she loves dearly. Will she have the courage to free herself? Will she have the courage to enter a world that is so unlike hers she may never adjust? Her journey takes some incredible twists and turns.

What a wonderful story this was! Carol Lynch Williams writes with such care and insight that you almost feel that Kyra is not fictional. Kyra has such depth and feelings that you also become invested in her well being. You are holding your breathe waiting to see what happens all the way to the end! And it is time well spent! I couldn't put the book down until I found out what happens to Kyra! Promoted as YA Teen Fiction, I would say it is worth reading even if you aren't in the YA catagory!

Would you like to read The First Chapter?! Here's the link: Chapter One .

A special thank you to Susannah Greenberg Public Relations & St. Martin's Griffin for allowing me to share this book with my readers! Thanks Susannah! And The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams is now available at your local bookstore!

8 comments:

Darlene said...

Nice review Suzanne. I'd really love to read this book one of these days. I've got your email and I'll answer today. I'm so behind this past week it's not even funny already but I haven't forgotten you.

Louise said...

Sounds like an interesting read, and since I am on a quest, LOL, to read YA later this year, this could be one of the books.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I LOVED this story and enjoyed your review. Here is a link to my review in case you are interested:

http://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/2009/06/87-chosen-onecarol-lynch-williams.html

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Awesome review. I really really want to read this one. It sounds amazing.

-Lauren

Oh, on another note. I have a YA Book Carnival starting tomorrow if you want to take part, enter contests, or find new blogs. Check it out!

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

Thanks for the great review! I have this book on my wish list, I'm going to follow your link and read the first chapter to see if this book really is for me :)

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Shooting Stars Mag!
Thanks for the heads up on the YA Book Carnival! Will get over to your blog to check it out! Sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing that with everyone!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Ladybug! I could not put this book down! You just kind of get lost in trying to find out what happens to Kyra, the main character of the story. Let me know what you think after reading chapter one!

Thanks for stopping by!

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

I have this book already and I'm planning on reading it soon. I've heard such great things about the book, including your review =)

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant