Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Audie awards 2009... or the best bedtime stories for grown-ups!

Do you remember the last time someone read a story to you? Well, these aren't bedtime stories but last Month the APA (Audio Publishers Association) announced the 2009 audie award winners! The audies is "the premier awards program in the United States recognizing distinction in audiobooks and spoken word entertainment." There are over 30 categories- a little something for everyone!

My commute to work isn't that long, so I generally listen to either the radio or a podcast (*Books on the Nightstand podcast my fav!)... But when I do get in the car for a longer ride, and vacation time is here, I love to pop in an audiobook in the CD player....

How to choose an audiobook is a little different than a 'paper' book - there are things to consider- abridged or unabridged (abridged is a shortened version of the original book and the plot may be altered a bit ). Who is reading the book? The narrator is important - do you like the way the person is reading the book- a bad narrator can make a good book boring.... So it's nice to hear a sample of the book being read if you can. (iTunes is one site that offers a free preview before downloading an audiobook MP3 from them) The audies reward the best audiobooks! What could be simpler than starting there to look for a good 'listen'...

Here are some of this years winners....
* Fiction - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Burrows, Narrated by A full cast. (this actually tied with Duma Key by Stephen King)

* Mystery - Voice of the Violin, by Andrea Camilleri... Narrated by Grover Gardner

* Romance - The Dark Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning... Narrated by Phil Gigante

* Children's Titles for Ages up to 8 - The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman... Narrated by Neil Gaiman

Do you listen to audiobooks? Have any favorites? And if you do like audiobooks, what's important to you when your listening- voice, the way the narrator reads? Share your thoughts!

* Books on The Nightstand just did a post on their blog on AUDIO books! Check out their website for some great recommendations: BOTN

For the complete list go to: The Audio Publishers Association Site. And enjoy listening to someone read to you once again! (hey, why not make it a bedtime story?!)

8 comments:

Harvee said...

I always enjoy a good mystery, whether reading or listening. Thanks for the audio tips!

Maggie Dana said...

I love audio books. They keep me sane while driving long distances; even short ones, too, when NPR falls down on the job and I can't get a station to come in clearly.

Non-fiction suits me best while driving. Am currently listening to A History of the Middle East! Enough to make anyone drive off the road.

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Book Bird Dog!
Isn't it nice to just sit back and relax and read/listen! I'm on vacation for the next two weeks and plan to spend a lot of that time doing just that!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Maggie Dana!
I love NPR too! Wow, what an interesting listening selection! I'll have to make a note of it. Thanks for stopping by and sharing with us! I

Jessica said...

I agree--a narrator is very important. I've consequently been turned away from books because of the narrator. Now, when I find myself in the car for a long time, I just stick to Adventures in Odyssey. lol

Thanks for the tips! Come over to my blog and pick up your award!

http://www.abookloversdiary.blogspot.com/

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Jessica!
You are sweet! Thanks so much for the award! I'll be going on over!
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Tried to find a post that didn't have a giveaway attached. The reason is I wanted to give you the heads-up…

Your blog was mentioned as A Book Blogger’s New Discovery.

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

I love audiobooks. My favorites so far:
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee- narrated by Sally Darling.

Eat, Pray, Love written and narrated by Elizabeth Gilbert.

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant