Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Sunday, October 1, 2023

Beauty and the... Book. Beautiful books and where to get them





Welcome to The Sunday Salon! It's the place where Book Bloggers from around the world share their bookish finds with one another in a virtual place called The Sunday Salon. Thank you to Deb at ReaderBuzz for keeping us all together on Sundays and hosting The Sunday Salon now! I also visited with Kim at The Caffeinated Reader, another Sunday gathering place for us bookish people called The Sunday Post and the ladies at Mailbox Monday.

It's starting to cool off in South Carolina. It makes me think of curling up with a good book on a comfy couch. Which makes me think of picking out a new book. Which made Me think how exactly do we go about picking out a new book? We are not suppose to judge of book by its' cover, but when we wander around the bookstore or library, looking for nothing in particular, aren't we looking at the artwork of the books? Either the cover or the spine, maybe a title, something that catches our attention, that makes us pick the book up and see what it's all about? 

Recently when I was wandering around online at Waterstones Bookstore, I came across their Special Edition Book section. Wow, some of these books were beautiful. Made me think (yes, lots of thinking going on this week), what else is out there? At which point I kind of got obsessed looking for special edition books. Here's what I found...

There are a few bookish places (stores/companies) that specialize in... well, beautiful books! Books that have special covers, special inside covers, special paper edges. There was a time where just having deckled edges made a book special, but now. OMG!


I bought Amelie Wen Zhao's book, Song of Silver, Flame like Night, second hand from a website called Pangobooks. It's a place to buy & sell your books. I had a good experience with buying this book, and because of that I might look here first for books I'm looking for. Unlike, say Ebay, Pangobooks is only about books. You can search by genre or a specific book. It's a fun bookish site for people who love reading and books. At the time I wasn't looking for a particular title, but I wanted to see if anyone had illumicrate books, and they did! 

Illumicrate is a book subscription service as well as a place to purchase some of those special editions without a subscription. They were actually the first book subscription service in the UK. Yes, they are in the UK, so shipping is a bit expensive, but if you want one of these beautiful books, you are going to pay it! (But grab what you want fast because these are limited editions and usually only offered for a specific timeframe).

So what are some of the things that make an illumicrate book special? First the dust jacket is usually a special cover made just for them and in cooperation with the author. The one I have here has a special silver foil for the title. Next the actual cover is usually beautifully made too. Mine has silver foil parts to it. Next is the endpapers, the paper that is glued onto the inside cover and is the first page, is has special artwork. And finally, if all that weren't enough, the page edges are sprayed, sometimes with a design, sometimes with just a color. This book, Song of Silver, Flame Like Night by Amelie Wen Zhao is one of the most beautiful page edges I've ever scene. OMG, the colors just pop.


       
 Interesting to also see the UK edition versus the United States edition side by side....
(usually I prefer UK covers, but the US cover is very pretty too)

Uk cover on left, U.S cover on right

Have you ever liked the UK cover of a book better than the US cover? 
Have you ever noticed the difference?


Here are a few places to get special edition books...

Fairyloot... Fairyloot is a fantasy subscription company, but they also have some special editions to purchase without having a subscription. 

Waterstones... Bookstore based in UK that is a "regular" bookstore that also has beautiful special editions specifically made for them. I have ordered from Waterstones when I wanted one of their special editions, a UK book cover (because frequently they are nicer looking) or sometimes when it actually is cheaper to get if from them than in the States. 

Goldsboro Books... Bookstore based in UK that specializes in signed first editions, and special editions.
************************

Here are some of my other special editions books...

Edward Gorey Edition of Dracula... Gorey illustrations thru-out, and a cool fuzzy cover.


The Atlas Six by Olivie Blake... A great start to a fantasy series that is kind of a mashup of Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. I am in the middle of this book and love it. Love the page edges and the inside front end papers depicting the characters of the story. 

The Last Devil to Die by Richard Osman... The latest book in the Thursday Night Murder Club series. This will be my first book in the series, even though it's actually the 4th book, but I think they are stand alones, meaning I don't have to have read the other books to enjoy reading this one. I love the actual cover with the pink foil fox! and the matching sprayed page edges and end papers.
Now if you don't want to purchase special editions for yourself, these would make great gifts for that special reader in your life. The second hand market for these books isn't much cheaper and sometimes a lot more than what a new copy from the actual source is. The price is sometimes based on the rarity of the special edition. Some of these are not available directly to the U.S. market, so second hand market is the only way to get them. 

I've always loved UK edition covers on books. It use to be, in my humble opinion, that they were always nicer. Nowadays though that's not always the case. And although I have a few very nice special editions, for "normal" reading I think I will stick with "normal" books, where I won't be obsessing over taking care of the book, and G-d forbid I wrinkle the dust cover. I do treat my books with respect, but I don't live in fear of touching them. 


What do you think about special editions books? Are they worth it? Would you buy any? 

Hope you found something interesting here today! And share some interesting bookish things here!

Happy reading... Suzanne

10 comments:

Greg said...

I totally pick books by the cover ha ha. I can't help it. I love cover design and art and even though it doesn't always reflect the book well, I've found some gems going with the art or blurb, which I'm sure we all have. That is a beautiful cover on Zhao's book. Gorgeous.

Glad you're liking Atlas Six. I jsut read a couple months ago...

Harvee Lau said...

Beautiful covers. I’d buy them just for the illustrations. Fantasy is a genre I seldom read but I’d try the first book to see if the story is as interesting and fantastical as the pictures suggest

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm definitely someone who is attracted to the visual elements of a book. I have bought many books simply because they are beautiful. I can clearly remember the first time I read a book that didn't have illustrations; I felt a huge sense of loss.

I would love to have all of these books you have shared with us here. Picture books for grownups, I think.

Jody said...

Happy Sunday, Suzanne!

sjhigbee said...

Ooo... some of those books are absolutely beautiful!! These days, I'm afraid I tend to stick to digital copies as our house is full to the brim with books - and so is the loft. But these are very tempting. I note your comments regarding US vs UK covers with interest - I used to take part in Friday Faceoff, which compares covers following a theme and a lot of the time I used to enjoy the UK versions more, too. Have a great week, Suzanne:).

Betwixt the Pages said...

I absolutely ADORE special editions. I only have a few in my personal collection so far, but every single one of them is my favorite book on my shelves (of course, I say that about pretty much all the books on my shelves, so....oops) I've recently stumbled across some artists on TikTok who do the edge spraying of books and I'm always SO fascinated by the process--they always turn out GORGEOUS. Happy spooky season to you, and happy reading in the upcoming month!

stacybuckeye said...

I love finding special editions of my favorite books! Thsnks for the links :)

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

I need that Gorey Dracula!!!!

Northwoman said...

I would totally pick a book by the cover. Mostly I ignore covers these days because I read / listen to digital copies. They are more portable and my 19 bookshelves are full. I would only buy special editions of my very favorite authors and ones I might meet for an autograph.

Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

Vicki said...

I am a cover snob. If I see a cover I love I'll be checking to see what the book is about.

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant