Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Sunday Salon... Visiting Out of Oz: The Book and My Life


Thank you Harper Collins for sending along a copy of Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire! It's the final volume in Gregory Maguire's series of books covering what is referred to as "The Wicked Years", or the land of Oz with a twist.

Out of Oz came at an interesting time in my life, because I've been away from Chick with Books for a little while, traveling down what feels like that yellow brick road, encountering adventures along the way, with my life changing leaps and bounds. But just as Dorothy discovered at the end of her adventures, I knew that "there's no place like home"... So even though I've been thrown a few curves along the way, I'm back home! Nice to see you all again! And with that said, let's take a look at Out of Oz...

Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire... First, let's look at that gorgeous cover by illustrator Douglas Smith! Capturing the beauty of Oz and Dorothy with his scratchboard illustrations, Douglas Smith not only designs the book jacket and cover, but also illustrates the inside covers of the book too! They say don't judge a book by its cover, but I defy anyone not to pick this book up after walking past it. The jacket is cut out in the middle revealing Dorothy peaking through, and revealing a beautiful illustration right on the book cover itself. I just love books that are just as beautiful without their jackets on!

The story, of course, is the magical world of Gregory Maguire. Always taking us beyond the pages of Frank Baum's classic Wizard of Oz series, Mr. Maguire delights us again in this final story of Oz.

"Out of Oz The marvelous land of Oz is knotted with social unrest: The Emerald City is mounting an invasion of Munchkinland, Glinda is under house arrest, and the Cowardly Lion is on the run from the law. And look who’s knocking at the door. It’s none other than Dorothy. Yes, that Dorothy. Amid all this chaos, Elphaba’s granddaughter, the tiny green baby born at the close of Son of a Witch, has come of age. Now, Rain will take up her broom in an Oz wracked by war."

Opening the pages of Out of Oz, made me feel 10 years-old again. Though the story is not for the young, it is for the young-at-heart. A fairy tale with a bit of a bite to it. Though I have not devoured it all yet, I am excited to be visiting Oz and Gregory Maguire's writing is always wonderful and always captures me, holding me captive.

If you haven't read the Wicked, Son of a Witch and A Lion Among Men, the first 3 books in the series, no worries because Gregory Maguire briefly catches you up to speed on each book is about. But I might start at the beginning, just so you can enjoy the series for as long as you can...

Happy reading... Suzanne

7 comments:

Svea Love said...

I attempted to read Wicked years ago but couldn't get past the first chapter. Many people have told me that once I get a handful of chapters in I will be hooked, but unfortunately I have not found the time to try again. Maybe I will make it a reading goal for next year :)

Enjoy the rest of Out of Oz!

Here is my version of Sunday Salon: Suddenly Sunday

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Svea!
I felt the same way about Wicked the first time I picked it up! Maybe it was because it was so different from my fond memories of the Wizard of Oz books. A second attempt was what I needed. Although, Out of Oz can be read on its own and I think the story may be more appealing because of the appearance of all of our favorite characters!

Thanks for stopping by!
Suzanne

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Glad this book was just what you needed to get back to blogging.

Here's my Sunday Salon: Reading 264 Books. I hope you will stop by and sign up for my November Giveaway, too. It's a $25 Amazon gift card!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I have been drawn to Out of Oz, but haven't acquired it yet. My TBR stacks would groan in protest.

But someday....

I have a collection of Oz characters, both plush and resin. I love thinking about the characters when I pass them by, as they sit on my Baker's Rack in the dining room.

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and
MY WEBSITE

carla said...

Nice to see you again! I've been checking back every so often to find you.

stpand said...

Welcome back!
We've missed you!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the original volume "Wicked" enough to buy a first ed hardcover that I could reread and refer to in the future.

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant