Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Review... The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The first in what is to be a trilogy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was a book I just couldn't put down - not because it was such an exciting read, but because the story just gripped me. At the start we meet disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist who is hired by wealthy industrialist Henrik Vanger to solve the disappearance (and possible murder) of his favorite grand niece Harriet Vanger. (btw, Blomkvist is disgraced because as an editor of a political magazine and self proclaimed crusader for justice he "was at the wrong end of a libel case" against someone who use to work for Henrik Vanger).

Along the way to solving the mystery, Blomkvist picks up a research assistant who looks like a teenage punk rocker (with multiple tattoos). Quiet, tough, ruthless and a bit of a loner, we find out that Lisbeth Salander is so much more than her rough exterior... and I just love her! As we turn the pages to discover all the clues to the main mystery of Harriet Vanger's disappearance, we also begin to unravel the mystery behind Lisbeth, whose tough exterior begins to soften up just a little so we can see the vulnerable side of her. She is a wonderful character, who you'll find yourself rooting for every time she encounters a bump in her world, and in fact the second book of this trilogy, "The Girl Who Played with Fire", 'stars' Lisbeth.

The story takes place in Sweden, the country of origin of the author, and it would do one good to get out a map of Sweden to see where the various towns are that are referred to in the story. And a family tree helps too - but that you can find just before chapter one of the book. It gets a bit confusing because there are a LOT of Vanger family members, but if you can get over this one flaw, this book is truly worth your time! A good solid read, but Larsson does make you work a little to get thru this book because it's more like a leisurely walk in the park not a morning run. Loved the characters more and more as I kept reading. With plot twists and turns, you won't be disappointed. And the ending... well let's just say I wanted to go out and buy book 2 right then and there, but I COULDN'T! Us folks in the US will have to wait until July for it to be published here....

6 comments:

BookWormz said...

I started listening to this book on my ipod, and got a couple of hours in, but then kind of lost interest. I'll have to pick it back up again, because I must not have given it a fair chance! It looks really good!

Suzanne Yester said...

I found it to be a slow & steady kind of read - not "exciting" like I said, but a good story. I kept turning the pages because I kept wanting to find out what happened to Harriet. Larsson isn't letting the reader off easy- he's making us work to learn what happened. After I was finished with the book I appreciated the story much more. And I loved Lisbeth's story. I wanted more of her by the end... Thanks for your input! Sometimes books just don't click for everyone, but if you do pick it up again, let me know what you think of Lisbeth!

fantaghiro23 said...

I've always wanted to read this book. And this summer (at least, in my country), I promise I will!

By the way, I wanted to give you this award: http://fantaghiro23.blogspot.com/2009/04/awards-awards.html

I really like your blog so far.:)

Suzanne Yester said...

Thank you so much for the award! And the kind words about my blog! Now I'll have even more fun exploring other blogs so I can pass along the award!

sumthinblue said...

I've been really curious about this book, now I want to go get it already!

Suzanne Yester said...

Good book, the more I kept reading the more I enjoyed it! The ending... OK we can't talk about that YET! I don't know anyone who's read this but if you do read it - come back and we'll have to talk!! Thanks for stopping by! And congrats again on your well deserved award!

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant