Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Sunday, January 7, 2018

The 3 Hottest Books for the Coldest Winter Days...


Welcome to The Sunday Salon and The Sunday Post! It is damn cold here in Connecticut! Right now as I write this it's 7 degrees. Tonight it's predicted to get to 20 below zero! It started this past Thursday when it started to snow furiously all day, the wind whipping it all about in tall and beautiful snowdrifts. The temperatures then started to drop. I don't ever remember it being this cold and the only thing I want to do is stay snuggled up inside the house. BUT, I do have some books to keep me company until the spring thaw...

My First Book of The Year for 2018 is Still Me by Jojo Moyes, and I am enjoying it so much! I have 60 pages to go and I'm trying to slow down because I don't want it to end! But I know it will and I'll have to find other pages to read. And I do have some great reads in my eReader (come by tomorrow and I'll share them with you!). But today let me share with you some books coming out next week that are lighting the publishing world on fire (and don't we need a little fire with all this cold!)...


The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani... She has the keys to their apartment. She knows everything. She has embedded herself so deeply in their lives that it now seems impossible to remove her.

When Myriam, a French-Moroccan lawyer, decides to return to work after having children, she and her husband look for the perfect nanny for their two young children. They never dreamed they would find Louise: a quiet, polite, devoted woman who sings to the children, cleans the family’s chic apartment in Paris’s upscale tenth arrondissement, stays late without complaint, and hosts enviable kiddie parties. But as the couple and the nanny become more dependent on one another, jealousy, resentment, and suspicions mount, shattering the idyllic tableau. Building tension with every page, The Perfect Nanny is a compulsive, riveting, bravely observed exploration of power, class, race, domesticity, and motherhood—and the American debut of an immensely talented writer.

This is the first "Hot" book of 2018! This book won The Prix Goncourt (The Goncourt Prize) in 2016, which is a prize in French literature given by the académie Goncourt to the author of "the best and most imaginative prose work of the year". Originally published in France as Chanson Douce, or "lullaby" (Sweet Song),  It has sold over 600,000 copies since then. Available Jan. 9th and published by Penguin. On my TBR list!

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn... 
Anna Fox lives alone—a recluse in her New York City home, unable to venture outside. She spends her day drinking wine (maybe too much), watching old movies, recalling happier times . . . and spying on her neighbors.

Then the Russells move into the house across the way: a father, a mother, their teenage son. The perfect family. But when Anna, gazing out her window one night, sees something she shouldn’t, her world begins to crumble—and its shocking secrets are laid bare.


Lots of buzz about this book. Even movie rights have been sold for it. It's suppose to be a taunt psychological thriller and I'm so hoping that it lives up to all the hype! Lots of positive reviews pre-publication! Coming out on January 2nd and published by Harper Collins! P.S. A.J. Finn is not the authors real name... On my TBR list!


The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen... 
When you read this book, you will make many assumptions.
You will assume you are reading about a jealous ex-wife.
You will assume she is obsessed with her replacement – a beautiful, younger woman who is about to marry the man they both love. 
You will assume you know the anatomy of this tangled love triangle.
Assume nothing.

Twisted and deliciously chilling, Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen's The Wife Between Us exposes the secret complexities of an enviable marriage - and the dangerous truths we ignore in the name of love.


Another twist and turn book that's gotten quite a bit of buzz. It's made the Indie Next List this month, as did all of these book I'm talking about today, and it has gotten a lot of great pre-publishing reviews. Coming out January 9th and published by St. Martin's Press. Definitely on my TBR list!

And one more honorable mention in the hot books of the month club... 

The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin... 
If you knew the date of your death, how would you live your life?

It's 1969 in New York City's Lower East Side, and word has spread of the arrival of a mystical woman, a traveling psychic who claims to be able to tell anyone the day they will die. The Gold children—four adolescents on the cusp of self-awareness—sneak out to hear their fortunes.


The prophecies inform their next five decades. Golden-boy Simon escapes to the West Coast, searching for love in '80s San Francisco; dreamy Klara becomes a Las Vegas magician, obsessed with blurring reality and fantasy; eldest son Daniel seeks security as an army doctor post-9/11; and bookish Varya throws herself into longevity research, where she tests the boundary between science and immortality.


This is the #1 Indie Next choice for January, but I've seen a mixed bag of pre-publication reviews. Not so much of a thriller as literary fiction, I don't think this is going to get your heart beating fast and your palm sweating, but sounds like an interesting read. I'm reserving my judgement for this one, but it is on my TBR list. Coming out on January 9th and published by Putnam.

Week in Review...

*Sunday was New Years Eve and my reveal for my First Book Of The Year... Still Me by Jojo Moyes!

*First Lines Friday revealed the beginning of Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor!

*Sadly on Dec. 28th, 2017 the reading world had to bid farewell to Sue Grafton, who passed away at the age of 77 from cancer. The Guardian.com posted her obituary January 3rd. Unfortunately for fans of Grafton's alphabet series, the alphabet will be ending with Y.



How Are You Keeping Warm on These Cold Winter Days?

That about does it for this week. Next week we'll have some more great books coming out. And tomorrow I reveal 3 great eGalley's I just received from publishers for some great books coming out in the near future! Stop back and see what they are! 

Happy reading... Suzanne

4 comments:

Bryan said...

Basically, I'm staying inside...and reading today. Yesterday it was the first part of The Lord of the Rings. Today, I'm not sure. I might go on to the second part or work on something else. I haven't decided.

Harvee said...

I have put all of your books on my wish list. The cold days are far from over, so luckily there are enough books to last!

Anonymous said...

I am waiting for The Woman in the Window to get here, hopefully tomorrow. :) The Wife Between Us was one I really enjoyed. Have a great week and stay warm.

Greg said...

That's cold! It's been the same here- I'm ready for a warm up! I'm happy to stay in too when it's this cold lol.

The Woman in the Window and The Wife Between Us both look great, and I'll probably get both.

Have a great week!

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant