Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Friday, June 28, 2013

First Lines... " I was born of cold copulation..."

"I was born of cold copulation, white-fleshed and waxy like a crust of fat on beef broth left outside in winter. I was born of seed that would have seized with frost if spilled on the newlyweds' bed. I was born on the twenty-seventh of September because in the month of January my parents had been sealed in a wedding chamber made of ice." 
The Age of Ice by J.M. Sidorova                                      (Scribner- Pub. date of July 23, 2013)
"An epic debut novel, boldly imagined, beautifully written, and infused with Russian history and scientific wonder... a bold and romantic work of historical imagination about a lovelorn eighteenth-century Russian noble cursed with an immunity to the cold."

"This novel screams "Sweeping Russian Storytelling" at its best! Thank you to Scribner (an imprint of Simon & Schuster) for sending this my way! I can't wait to sink my teeth into this story!


2 comments:

carol said...

Okay, I'm hooked. Beautiful writing and it sound unique.

Suzanne Yester said...

I was hooked too Carol! I was lost after the lovers were sealed in their wedding chamber of ice and consumated their love.

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant