Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Friday, July 30, 2010

First Lines...

"On the morning my husband left me, hours before I knew he would, I looked at the bruised March sky and recognized tornado green.

I'd seen that peculiar algae shade before--anyone who grew up in Ohio had--but my intimate relationship with storms was a bit of family lore.

When I was eight, I tried to touch a tornado."

...The Blessings of the Animals by Katrina Kittle

4 comments:

carla said...

"bruised March sky".
I love it!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Carla,
I really loved that too! I'm right in the middle of this book and really am enjoying her writing! Will include some of these painterly descriptions in my review!

The Yard Bard said...

"Bruised" is a perfect description of a tornado sky! Not to mention the aftermath...

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Yard Bard,
Sounds like you have some experience with tornados! I loved the way the author used "bruised" March sky, but thinking more of it, you are right that the word also applies to the aftermath.

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant